[nflug] Rootkits

Mark Musone mmusone at shatterit.com
Thu Nov 3 15:36:27 EST 2005

Unfortunately, in my experience..it's been kind of the opposite..
I've seen many more and more intricate local root exploits than before.

Years ago they'd do some sendmail, lpr queue,  or shell-escape type of local
exploit..nowadays they are doing things like kernel module exploits and race
condition attacks. Things like that were pretty much unheard of back then.
Also, now, once they are in, your system is REALLY compromised...replacing
core kernel modules..even the kernel itself sometimes..really nasty stuff
that's terrible to find let alone remove.

In the old days, everyone focused on remote ROOT exploits and kinda ignored
remote user exploits, because even if they got in as a normal user, they
couldn't do much. Now, any type of remote access into a system is extremely
sensitive. Small example; look at the huge rate of simple brute force
dictionary ssh attacks as default users nowadays. they are simply trying to
get in as ANY user, because it's almost a given they can then get elevated
to root. Back then, they'd mostly be just trying to brute force root.  The
other advantage for them is that many sysadmins today focus on preventing
ROOT brute force attacks, having all the alerts (and root ssh shut down) for
that case, yet they ignore unprivileged end user access. So while the
sysadmins are keeping their eye on the main gate, the hackers are slipping
in via the side...

I've got probably a few dozen cd's of rootkitted system dumps, along with a
number of cd's of actual rootkits. lol...I hope it's not a sign of my
sysadmining skills :) ;)

-Mark