Sharing Bookmarks?

Greg Neumann DadNeumann at verizon.net
Wed May 18 11:36:04 EDT 2005

Joe wrote:

> Hi.
> I just came up with another "brilliant idea".
> Before I shoot myself in the foot, Will this work?
>
> I'm having bookmark blues because I'm starting to use Firefox more,
> but I still use Mozilla a lot and I end up with some bookmarks in each
> place.
> It just dawned on me that since both files are just bookmarks.html, I
> could just replace one of them with a symlink to the other.  That way,
> *if* it works, both products would use the same file and my problem
> would be eliminated (if, and as long as, the formats are identical).
>
> I do have daily and weekly /home backups to fall back on if something
> goes awry after an upgrade to one or the other.
>
> I am currently using Firefox 1.03 and Mozilla 1.7.0.  (I know 1.7.7 is
> available, but I haven't gotten around to it.)
>
> TIA
>
> Joe

I think this should work. I don't know for sure. The browser code base
is the same. I don't think the formats are different at all. Rename one
bookmark.html to bookmark.old, make the link, and I'll bet it works. You
could open them in OpenOffice.org and cut and paste from one to the
other till one of them has all the bookmarks you want. I'm not sure why
you would use one over the other.
-Greg