Installing Thunderbird

John Nichel john at kegworks.com
Tue May 10 09:08:22 EDT 2005

Joe wrote:
> I could do that, but I never had to with Mozilla.  As far as users are
> concerned, it appears to have been designed for multiuser installations
> with all? the personal stuff going into $HOME/.thunderbird so it looks
> like it should be able to work.
>
> I just don't like the idea of having multiple installations of one
> version of one package on a machine.  It wastes a lot of disk space
> (and, maybe memory when multiple users are running separate copies) and
> it creates maintenance headaches.

You can 'install' it in a common place (I have it in /usr/local/share).
  Just unpack it where ever you want it, and give permission for your
users to run it from there (should unpack that way).  Once a local user
runs it for the first time, it will set up the profile for that user in
their home directory.

--
John C. Nichel
ÜberGeek