Firefox mailto problem

S. Lawton green_man at bluefrog.biz
Wed Mar 23 20:36:12 EST 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 19:39:18 -0500
pirrone <pirrone at localnet.com> wrote about "Re: Firefox mailto problem":

> Gentlemen:
>
> Haven't followed this thread but if I understand the contents of this
> message go to ~/.mozilla/firefox/default.xxx/ and in user.js (create if
> not present) enter a path-correct version of the statement below:
>
> user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto",
> "/usr/lib/thunderbird/email");
>
> Frank
>
> --
> humans may reply by deleting the x from my address

BINGO !!
 that's the preference key you need to edit.

On this live cd everything is pre-configured, so Preferential shows it
as a user defined string with the value "mailto.sh".
/usr/sbin/ mailto.sh looks like this:
#!/bin/sh

exec sylpheed --compose "$@"

So if anyone wanted Sylpheed as thier mailer, I suppose they could just
use the above command.

The Preferential extension makes this much easier, because it will
automatically create your user.js with the appropriate keys. I'm
actually listed in the Help > About > Preference Documentation for the
extension, because I sent in a list of ChatZilla preference definitions
to the extension creator.
I stumbled onto it after doing it the hard way *in Windows* for Mozilla:
1. Create a text file with the necessary preference keys
[but don't use NotePad]
2. Zip this file
3. Rename to user.js
4. Put user.js in your profile directory
5. Restart Moz so it reads the new file

With Preferential, select the pref you want to change, click edit,
change it, click save :-)
Plus Preferential shows you the "hidden" keys you don't see in
"About:Preferences"

Incidentally, ChromEdit does the same type of thing for Look&Feel and behavior, without changing the Theme.
Sorry, I didn't mean for this to be a "sales pitch", but these are two must-have extensions as far as I'm concerned.

--
Scott
Sylpheed 0.9.99