Firefox mailto problem

pirrone pirrone at localnet.com
Sun Mar 20 19:39:18 EST 2005

S. Lawton wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 11:49:53 -0500
>Joe <josephj at main.nc.us> wrote about Firefox mailto problem:
>

>>Hi.  I have Firefox 1.0.1 on Linux.  I just clicked on a mailto: link
>>and got some disk activity, but nothing else.  How do I get it to go
>>to Mozilla Messenger or Thunderbird?
>>

>I can't tell you exactly right now, because Puppy only has Firefox and
>Sylpheed, but in your prefs you need to direct it to the DEFAULT Mail
>Application. Choose either MozMessenger or Tbird, and it should work.
>When I reboot M$ I can tell more. I have Advanced browser set to use Moz
>Mail, Netscape using Tbird, and Firebird using Netscape Mail, just to
>keep IE, which I never use, away fom it all. The point is, if you run
>more than one browser like me, each will have it's own default mail app.
>

>>Related questions:
>>Now that Firefox is all the rage, what does that mean for Mozilla
>>development?  I know the underlying code is the same, but is Mozilla
>>as an application going away?
>>

>It's looking like this might be the death of the dinosaur as we know it,
>the integrated suite, anyhow.
>I guess my Mozilla T-Shirt will be a collectors item, like the Mozilla
>2002build I still run from Win95.
>I wonder what Netscape will do ?
>

>>Where do I ask Mozilla questions?  I went to Mozillazine and only
>>Firefox was there and the plugins I tried to install did nothing (even
>>
>>in Firefox).
>>

>I know extensions and themes are version specific, VERY specific !
>I hit that snag trying to use Firefox 1.0 extensions in Firefox 1.0
>Preview. They wouldn't install, I had to search for Firefox 1.0PR
>extensions.
>
>I found these by digging in the Moz site, though of course Firefox is
>what they're pushing.
>
>http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/
>http://mozilla.gunnars.net/
>http://kb.mozillazine.org/Mozilla_Suite
>http://kb.mozillazine.org/Links_%28Mozilla_Suite%29
>AAAaarrgh! I hate the way it "escapes" link addresses when copy/pasting
>to text.
>Here's what it actually looks like -
>http://kb.mozillazine.org/Links_(Mozilla_Suite)
>http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtml?title=Mozilla_Suite

Gentlemen:

Haven't followed this thread but if I understand the contents of this
message go to ~/.mozilla/firefox/default.xxx/ and in user.js (create if
not present) enter a path-correct version of the statement below:

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto",
"/usr/lib/thunderbird/email");

Frank

--
humans may reply by deleting the x from my address