Off Topice Wirless networking

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 18 10:26:14 EST 2005

Well, is the Dlink a router or a hub?  I don't suppose it makes that much
difference because you'd want to configure the Dlink for local only.  I think
that there are several Ethernet ports on there, along with the "WAN" port.  If
you connect everything to the Ethernet ports, turn off routing in the Dlink and
tell it's DHCP to use the dialup machine as the default route.  You'd have to
remove the address that the XP dialup box is going to use from the scope in
DHCP and make the XP box have a static address.  I usually make it the last
address in the subnet (e.g. 192.168.22.254) and then tell the DHCP scope to
stop at 200.

Then you'd set your dialup box to do routing to the local subnet and you're
good to go.  Personally, I'd set up a minimal linux box to do the dialup, using
shorewall or some such for firewall.  Then you don't have to worry about
getting your firewall virused, trojaned or hijacked.  Just a thought...

Cheers!

Bob