Poll of sorts-

Dave Yearke yearke at eng.buffalo.edu
Thu Mar 10 11:37:43 EST 2005

> I'm curious about something--
>
> How do you all use Linux? Are there many people on the list that use it in a
> corporate/enterprise environment or is it more for desktop/home use?

We use it widely here in UB's Science and Engineering Node. We have several
large labs of Linux workstations, plus several moderately-sized compute
clusters. We don't have very many Linux servers at present; our servers tend to
still be mostly Sun Enterprise systems running Solaris, as they have proven to
be stable and robust (some are almost seven years old, and still performing
their jobs adequately). Another person on the NFLUG list, Jason Lasker, has
built a full KickStart infrastructure, so we can install and upgrade systems
quickly, efficiently, and consistently, and has customized RHEL3 in many clever
ways to meet our particular needs. I've done quite a bit with hands-off and
networked-based administration, using home-brewed scripts and utilities, and
active maintenance on these systems is pretty low.

Truthfully, our client/server environment has illuminated, at least to me, one
of the few weaknesses of Linux: Some network services are not as well-developed
as they are on other Unix-like operating systems. For example, the Linux
automounter does not support direct mounts well or host-based mounts at all, and
other network services will spontaneously stop responding. I suspect that this
is because the focus of Linux development has been either on (a) standalone
desktop systems, or (b) standalone servers doing things like serving web sites.
I could be completely wrong, here, but that's my guess.

> I've only been to a couple of meetings, but they seem to center more around
> 'Linux as a Windows desktop replacement', which is great since Windows sucks,
> but I'd like to see more meeting topics revolving around things like
> high-volume system administration, tuning for performance and uptime, and
> Linux in the enterprise. Anybody else that would like to do things like this?

Jason and I would be happy to demonstrate some of the procedures and practices
we use. We won't claim that they are necessarily the "best" ways, but they work
well for us. Sometimes, we use surprisingly low-tech approaches to
administration, because often times simple is better.

By the way, I guess I'm _way_ in the minority on this list, but I don't think
Windows "sucks" (please understand, I'm not singling you out, but I see a lot of
comments like this on this list). I've been using and administering it for
years, and despite its problems, it meets certain needs very well. In fact, we
have a strong focus here on making Linux, Solaris, Windows, MacOS, and other
operating systems play nice together, because they all meet certain needs and
accomplish certain goals. We'd be happy to provide examples on some of this as
well, if there's interest. For the last few months, for example, I've been using
Cygwin on my Windows XP laptop, which gives a full Unix-like environment under
Windows, complete with a full X Window environment (and GNOME on the way).

                      Dave Yearke, yearke at eng.buffalo.edu
         "We are, after all, professionals" -- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson