Slow Deskjet printer?

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Tue Jun 7 16:34:17 EDT 2005

Hi.  I have an HP 895 Cse on my Mandrake 9.1 system (using hpijs).  It
works fine, but appears to print everything at maximum quality i.e.
really slow.
I have used xpp to print in color or grayscale (and to define printer
instances for these features and for printing odd or even pages).

I haven't tried anything else for quite a while, but when I did try to
change resolutions, everything I tried only made things slower.

Just a guess: It seemed like when I converted a page to a lower
resolution, the drivers converted it back on the way to the printer.  My
processor is a PII 266MHz, so it really has to work when it does these
conversions.

Even now, many times my printer pauses when it appears to be way ahead
of the data stream coming to it.  I'm getting 2 - 3 ppm out of a printer
that can do 8.5 ppm color and 11 ppm grayscale.

What I would ideally like is to define another printer or instance I can
get to from shell scripts, etc. that will do draft quality printing
(which is at least 4 times as fast).

Related question:  I know how to use my printer instances from within
xpp, but how can I get to them from the shell, etc.?

TIA

Joe

--
"We are not the masks we wear. But if we don them, do we not become them." -- Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda