midi stuff

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 6 09:33:46 EDT 2005

--- Cyber Source <peter at thecybersource.com> wrote:

> Thanks Dave. I am sort of confused about the whole process of midi,
> whether it be hardware or software but here is what I ended up doing.
> BTW, this was all started because my step mother who I have running FC3
> and T-Bird was getting email from one of her freakin AOL friends and was
> sending email with embedded midi's for background sound. And whenever
> something doesn't work it looks like a shortcoming to Linux to those
> that don't know better. Amazing how Linux gets blamed if an application
> doesn't do something but windows NEVER gets blamed if an application
> doesn't do whats expected.
> Anywho,
>    Here is what I did. Both myself and step mother have motherboards
> with onboard sound VIA chips (via82xx), almost every motherboard comes
> with onboard sound and they just work so, it would seem that timidity
> does not require a hardware midi port?

Timidity is a midi SOFTSYNTH.  It will take in a midi file and render it to a
wav file (PCM audio) in realtime (same as what a hadware synth can do, only it
uses the host cpu and works on any soundcard, even ones that don't have a midi
synth)

media-sound/timidity++
      Latest version available: 2.13.2
      Latest version installed: 2.13.2