Jack Question.

jb mesimpleton at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 17 12:35:47 EST 2005

Dan Born wrote:
> On Jan 16 22:05, jb wrote:
>
>>I didn't have any luck in the past trying to install it to more than one
>>kernel for some reason. I'm using the self installing driver from
>>Nvidia. It only works for a single kernel. When I boot to a new kernel
>>it wants to remove the driver from one and install it to the new kernel.
>>One kernel only, there must be a way to use it for more than one.
>

> Look under /lib/modules/<kernel-version>, where <kernel-version> is the
> one where you have the nvidia driver successfully installed.  Do a:
>
>   find . -iname '*nv*'
>
> I believe there is one .o file for the nvidia driver.  Symlink to it
> from a similar path under the other kernel versions.

I found some info at the NV forum but i haven't checked into it any
further, yet. I'll post the info below. I think you just add the new
kernel version to the install command with -K? I'm going to scan over
the Nvidia install instructions again to see if I can get a little more
info on how to do it.

Using 2 kernels

Hi, I often test new kernels but when I reboot with a new kernel (new
version for example 2.6.10) X cannot start.
Actually it can't find the nvidia drivers in /lib/modules/2.6.10 because
they are in /lib/modules/2.6.9
But when I run the installer it says it has to uninstall the nvidia
drivers from /lib/modules/2.6.9 to install them into /lib/modules/2.6.10
So each time I want to boot a different kernel I have to reinstall the
drivers.
Do you have a solution ?

Re: Using 2 kernels
Take a look at the installer's -K (or --kernel-module-only) command line
option.

Re: Using 2 kernels [RESOLVED]
It worked exactly as I wanted, thanx very much