Jack Question.

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 17 12:02:00 EST 2005

--- Dan Born <dan at danborn.net> wrote:

> On Jan 16 22:05, jb wrote:
> > I didn't have any luck in the past trying to install it to more than one
> > kernel for some reason. I'm using the self installing driver from
> > Nvidia. It only works for a single kernel. When I boot to a new kernel
> > it wants to remove the driver from one and install it to the new kernel.
> > One kernel only, there must be a way to use it for more than one.
>
> Look under /lib/modules/<kernel-version>, where <kernel-version> is the
> one where you have the nvidia driver successfully installed.  Do a:
>
>   find . -iname '*nv*'
>
> I believe there is one .o file for the nvidia driver.  Symlink to it
> from a similar path under the other kernel versions.

you should NEVER symlink a kernel module from one kernel modules tree to
another.  Kernel modules need to be compiled for the RUNNING kernel. Doing the
above will in most cases cause the module to not load or in worse case, make it
unstable or nonfunctional. Trying to mix modules compiled for one kernel on
another usually will never work (wymbols won't match or load)

=====
Dave J. Andruczyk