Can't Login to Fedora

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 10:54:02 EST 2005

--- "Timothy J. Finucane" <speljamr at speljamr.com> wrote:

> How do I boot into init? Everytime the machine boots it goes through the
> boot process and then goes to the login screen that won't show.

At the grub prompt (or lilo) edit it (hit "e" in grub) and append
"init=/bin/sh" an and boot up..
it'll boot and immediately throw you into a shell.

mount the root fs readwrite, by "mount -oremount,rw  /"

edit /etc/inittab and change the default runlevel to 3 (it's probably on 5
which means X11 graphiucal logon)

# Default runlevel.
id:3:initdefault:   <-- the number is important, the other stuff isn't, 3 is
multiuser text mode, 5 is multiuser X11 mode (on most linux's).

=====
Dave J. Andruczyk