[inbox] Re: Meeting Time?

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Thu Feb 17 11:30:59 EST 2005

John Nichel wrote:

> Cyber Source wrote:
>
>> Greg Neumann wrote:
>>
>>> What's the "minimum" system requirements for that? I have an old
>>> P-II 233 I'm trying to get fixed up for my mom. Works great except
>>> for connecting to the internet. :-(

>> Not a good candidate. Interesting how people are always trying to put
>> Linux on the old "nobody want's" anymore boxes (not that that's what
>> your doing). Linux today deserves the best box in the house, and for
>> many, many, many good reasons. Here is a link to the FC3 Release
>> notes showing hardware requirements, etc.
>> http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc3/x86/
>>

> Ah, but Linux breaths new life into those old boxes.  Granted, I do
> run it on my 'best' boxes, but inbetween work and home, I have old
> boxes (<500Mhz) set up to do a variety of things...print servers, file
> servers, router/firewall, etc.

yes I do the same, lately been making routers out of them old boxes. I
wouldn't think about giving an old box to my mom though ;), or any
newbie. I'm assuming Greg's mom is a newbie. Newbie's coupled with old
slow boxes usually frustrate them right back to winblows.....

--
cybersource.us
                         115 Richfield Road