[nflug] Which VOIP provider to use?

wpos2 at adelphia.net wpos2 at adelphia.net
Sat Dec 17 11:49:09 EST 2005

A few months ago I (naively, perhaps) chose Vonage, and here's why:
1.	They were the cheapest provider I had heard of.  Well, technically,
the cheapER, since the only other one I had heard of was Verizon, and Ma
Bell in sheep's clothing didn't seem to offer as good a deal.
2.	They offered a device gratis.  I know (now) that the device could be
better in allowing compatibility with other providers, but consider what
I had before.  The AP I had before (that I had bought for 7$ after
rebate) lost the ability to be configured.  After attempting to reset it
via the pin-hole reset button, I exchanged it for another one, and that
one did the same damn thing.  It did its job, but what if I for example
wanted to change the encryption key, which should probably be done from
time to time?  The antenna was also permanently bolted on so I couldn't
bolt on a better one, but that is a minor issue to the eventual
unconfigurability.  At least now I have better reception which can only
get better with a stronger antenna.  (Any suggestions for an
omnidirectional SMA antenna, anyone?)  As a side benefit, one of the
conditions of the rebate on the device is to send in the old AP.  This,
aside from facilitating a rebate, gave me a chance to completely wipe my
hands of the inferior AP, which was good psychologically.

So now I'm committed to a year-long contract and paying more than I
could be.  But overall I'm satisfied and paying less than I would for
POTS, plus getting free long distance service and a slew of other
features for the price.  The sound quality is definitely acceptable.  I
don't normally transmit live Pink Floyd concerts over the phone, and I
don't do serious psycholinguistic research, so 30 kb/s voice is ok for
me.  The biggest problem I have is that caller ID rarely works.  I've
already called their tech support.  They know of this problem, assured
me that they're working on it, and gave me a ticket number.  (I'm not
holding my breath tho.  I have a feeling that it's an issue with
bandwidth anyway.)  Their tech support is a bit unprofessional.  The
last time I called, I could hear witty banter in the background.  I
don't have a problem with that actually, as long as I get what I ask
for, and I'm not insulted, but some people may.  Their Web site is
pretty decent: I can access the features I need to, and it's laid out in
a way which seems logical to me.  The big issue here is latency.  I want
better rt given my broadband access, 100 Mb/s network, and Athlon 64
processor, but them's the breaks.

So I'm not going to officially recommend Vonage over other providers
which are cheaper and lend themselves to more tinkering.  But, as long
as your broadband connection isn't diluted by other machines and is
otherwise sufficient (and you're not passionate about caller ID), then
you'll be better off than with POTS both in features and price.  My only
serious recommendation is a backup phone (like a cell phone or your next
door neighbor's phone) because broadband connections fail more often
than analog phone lines, and how do you handle a catch-22 like that?