[nflug] Which VOIP provider to use?

vlok stone vlokstone at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 17 10:57:33 EST 2005

For a comprehensive list of providers go to
voip-info.org and lookup residential providers. As for
which is best, that depends on what your doing. I use
Asterisk as my device and use broadvoice as a
provider. I also have voicepulseconnect. At the time
they were the only ones able to port my phone number (
broadvoice can also do this now). I have the
broadvoice unlimited in state for $11 bucks a month. I
have been relatively pleased. One issue in 6 months.
The great thing about Asterisk is the ability to have
multiple providers in case one is having an issue.
These are not by any means the only or best providers.
Do your homework and find the one that works best for
you (much like choosing a distro).
  I mentioned earlier that vonage uses a locked
adapter. Most people using Linux (natural born
tinker-ers), won't appreciate that. It is a linksys,
but you can't do much with them. There have
been reports of people unlocking them but it's usually
not worth the time and aggravation. If you want to try
Asterisk, have a look at Asterisk at Home. It's a GUI
based configuration that is good for
newbies to VoIP. There is a mountain of information on
voip-info.org on all things VoIP. Hope this helps, and
have fun.

--- Joshua Ronne Altemoos <joshua at wolfnix.net> wrote:

> Now That we have dryloop at home we do not need out
> home line. Which VOIP
> provider is the best to use?
>
> Vonage looks good and is well known and it uses
> linksys products.
>
> Boardvoice uses Sipura and BOYD, it is cheaper and i
> have heard good
> reports also on them also.
>
> Verizon is more expenisive but is discounted if you
> have VZ Dsl (the
> higher package not 700kbps) and looks like they use
> cisco also.
>
> What do you all use?

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win
- Mohandas Gandhi