[nflug] kernel grubbing- was: gentoo/alsa/kernel question

Josh Johnson joshj at linuxmail.org
Thu Dec 15 16:36:55 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Burke" <qfwfq at adelphia.net>
To: nflug at nflug.org
Subject: Re: [nflug] kernel grubbing- was: gentoo/alsa/kernel question
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 14:25:22 +0000

> Josh Johnson wrote:

Just curious if we couldn't get the problem narrowed down. I'm pretty sure that is because all of the appropriate modules are not loaded. I've had this happen before but I can't quite remember how to get out of it. How old is your Gentoo install? Because if it is a bit on the older side then you may have to edit /etc/modules.conf. Otherwise it could just be that you need some extra modules from the kernel. But since you're using genkernel I'd imagine that it has everything (and then some). Try taking all of your sound-related modules out of autoload and turning off alsasound (rc-update del alsasound). Then try to load your soundcard module by hand and see if you get any interesting messages. Does dmesg turn anything up?

-Josh