networking ip address

Michael Phillips linux478 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 11 11:32:13 EDT 2005

I am going to be install Debian on a system and configure another one to have a
static internal network ip address.  I know, I have to edit the
/etc/networking/interface file.  I just do not know what information to put in
it.  Any help would be great.  This is what my network looks like.

Internet -> DSL -> linksys router -> ,-- Windows XP Laptop (heather)

                                     +-- Windows XP Laptop (michael)

                                     +-- Debian System (server)

                                     '-- Debian System (toy)

The linksys router starts at 192.168.1.100
I like the way the xp computer are configure, you just plug them in and they
work.  The two Debian machine, I would like to have to have static ip
addresses.  I just do not know what ip address I should give them.  I just do
not know enough about networking to be confident about it.

Thanks

Michael D. Phillips - A computer science enthusiast
I do not hate Windows, I just like the alternatives better.
Linux is my primary choice.