Mozilla Newsreader problem

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Tue Sep 28 17:53:15 EDT 2004

I'm just getting back to this one.  I'm now using Mozilla 1.7 .

I have made a little progress.

The last thing I tried was to unsubscribe to everything and then go into
my user's Mozilla  directory and totally whack the News subdirectory.
After I did that, I created a new news account in Mozilla and joined a
group.

Now, when I left click on the group (alt.binaries.tv.x-files) and select
Get Messages for account, I see 478 unread and 978 total, but nothing
appears in the messages pane where I would normally click to view the
messages.

Next, if I right click on the News account again, the 478 and 978
disappear.  Doing The left click and Get ... gets them back again, but
still nothing in the message pane for me to access the actual messages.

What settings would affect this?

I have Mozilla set to:
Ask me before downloading more than 500 messages
Under Offline and Disk Space, I have nothing selected under "To save
disk space" and Keep All messages is selected.
Under SMTP, I have use user name and password selected and selected no
for use secure connection.

In my home (/home/bigbird) directory .mozilla is 755 bigbird bigbird
.mozilla/bigbird is 755 bigbird bigbird
.mozilla/bigbird/1a414ofz.slt is 755 bigbird bigbird
.mozilla/bigbird/1a414ofz.slt/bigbird is 775 bigbird bigbird

In .mozilla/bigbird/1a414ofz.slt/
[bigbird at localhost 1a414ofz.slt]$ ls -la News
total 28
drwxrwxr-x    3 bigbird  bigbird      4096 Jun 22 22:59 ./
drwxr-xr-x    7 bigbird  bigbird      4096 Sep 28 16:51 ../
drwxr-xr-x    2 bigbird  bigbird      4096 Sep 28 12:13 news.buffnet.net/
-rw-rw-r--    1 bigbird  bigbird        25 Jun 22 22:59 news.buffnet.net.dat
-rw-rw-r--    1 bigbird  bigbird      1334 Sep 28 12:04 news.buffnet.net.msf
-rw-rw-r--    1 bigbird  bigbird        89 Sep 28 12:13
newsrc-news.buffnet.net
-rw-rw-r--    1 bigbird  bigbird        25 Jun 28 15:04 tmprules.dat
[bigbird at localhost 1a414ofz.slt]$

In .mozilla/bigbird/1a414ofz.slt/News
[bigbird at localhost News]$ ls -la news.buffnet.net
total 1160
drwxr-xr-x    2 bigbird  bigbird      4096 Sep 28 12:13 ./
drwxrwxr-x    3 bigbird  bigbird      4096 Jun 22 22:59 ../
-rw-rw-r--    1 bigbird  bigbird      1478 Sep 28 17:05 alt.art-bell.msf
-rw-rw-r--    1 bigbird  bigbird      1612 Sep 28 17:05
alt.binaries.tv.x-files.msf
-rw-rw-r--    1 bigbird  bigbird   1162265 Jun 20 11:53 hostinfo.dat
-rw-rw-r--    1 bigbird  bigbird      1622 Sep 28 12:04
netscape.mozilla.user.unix.msf
[bigbird at localhost News]$

So it doesn't look like I'm locked out of anything.

It may be unrelated, but in /home/bigbird, I see
lrwxrwxrwx    1 bigbird  bigbird        14 Sep 28 10:07 lock ->
127.0.0.1:2502
flashing red as a broken link, but that looks like a lock semaphore of
some kind that is probably OK.