libusb on FC2

Robert F. Stockdale IV javabob at adelphia.net
Wed Oct 27 04:22:16 EDT 2004

I just converted my my wife to Linux. However, she needs a scanner and
the one we had was not supported by sane. I recently bought a Plustek
UT24 which is supported. After a lot of reading and configuring I can
finally access it as root and actually scan images. When I try as a non
root user it complains that no scanner is found. I've set
/dev/usb/scanner* to root  and group scanner. I've placed all users in
group scanner with read write permissions. The scanner is set up with
libusb on Fedora core 2. I'd rather not require my wife to become root
to use this scanner. Furthermore, I  intend to allow network access to
this scanner so other users can access it. Does any one have any ideas?
libusb is suppose to be user space and it does work as root. I'm baffled.
Bob Stockdale