Off-Topic, XP Reinstall

lasker at eng.buffalo.edu lasker at eng.buffalo.edu
Tue Oct 19 21:56:43 EDT 2004

Ken
    I am not sure how familiar you are with the boot.ini file but what
your file can tell you is that Window XP Home has been installed on
the same drive and same partition.  When you reinstall Windows XP on a
system it just appends a new entry in the boot.ini.  If you installed
Windows into the same directory. ex (c:\windows) Then booth menu
choices should run the same installation.  If you somehow reinstalled
into a different directory say c:\winnnt, then it's the same os dual
booting but with the same OS.  Since one menu choice asks for
registration but the other does not this may be the case.

I would agree with what others are saying and do a full reinstall.
Personally I never upgrade an OS unless absolutely necesary, I prefer
to delete partitions and reformat the drive.

You can delete the partions and reformat during the Windows XP
installation process, no need to fdisk with a boot floppy. (don't
forget to backup data)

Hope this helps

Jason