Disk Partition Percentage

deadpoint deadpoint at adelphia.net
Sat Nov 6 13:44:51 EST 2004

partitioning generally does not hurt performance, the underlying
hardwear, the filesystem, and filesystem mount options can hurt
performance. the filesystem and mount options again depend on what the
system will be going. for a desktop system it doesn't really matter. if
you're setting up a mail server that's going to see lots of read and
writes this brings up other considerations.

backup and recover is always a fun topic. the first questions is what do
  you need to backup? i personally only care about configuration files
that i've changed, logs, and whatever data the computer serves up,
email, user file, etc. i setup all my systems identically with AutoYasT
SuSE's auto installer so i really need the configs and data.

using raid depends on what the availability of the system needs to be,
who is effected if the resourse is not there? at work our fileserver
needs to be up nearly all the time. on this system i've mirrored all the
OS filesystems includeing swap across two SCA scsi disks. in the event
of a disk failure the system runs in degraded mode. all the files this
system serves are on a hardware array running raid5. the array itself, a
hitachi 9570 has no single point of failure, every component is
redundant. granted you'll not likely to see this for a home system, it's
just an example.