Disk Partition Percentage

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Sat Nov 6 13:34:37 EST 2004

This is a beautiful thing about Linux, here are some examples,

Symbolic Link Rescue;
  One of my clients called and said his SCSI hard drive was filled up
and we just did his install! We built his system with a 36GB SCSI drive
and a 120GB IDE drive for storage. He wanted the SCSI drive for
performance. I found out that he was storing all his movie download and
stuff to his /home/matt/movies and it quickly filled up his SCSI drive.
So, I logged in via ssh and moved his movies folder to the IDE drive
which had gobbs of room. Then I created a symbolic link
/home/matt/movies-->IDE drive movies. Now he won't be filling up
precious space on his SCSI Drive but still has the convenience of
haveing his folders/programs/whatever was pointing to that location
without changing anything else.

FSTAB Rescue;
  I had one of my servers filling up the /var partition as it was really
undersized when I built the machine. Quick fix, edit the /etc/fstab file
and point /var at a new drive (after moving the data), here is the fstab
line and it is further masked here because of e2label (love that stuff)
LABEL=/var              /var                    ext3    defaults        1 2
Now that line could easily have read /dev/hd?? vs LABEL=/var.
Makes moving files around and working with space pretty damn easy.

As far as backup goes, I run crons nightly and have them shoot the
(tars) wherever. I hate tapes and with the cost of drives today, I can't
reason the costs of them either. Jesse was showing me a USB external
storage unit for IDE drives for like $22 bucks. So you could get one of
those, get a 120GB IDE drive and hotplug it up (mounts as SCSI (sd?))
and for less than $150 bucks you have a PORTABLE FAST LARGE
storage/backup solution, circa 2005 ;)