[inbox] RE: lilo/grub

TheCactusKid Cactus thecactuskid45 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 23 14:57:51 EST 2004

Greg Neumann <dadneumann at adelphia.net> wrote:
Well, on older system ... well actually ANY system! ;-) ... my disto of
choice is Slackware. I'm running Slack 9.1 w/ a 2.6.4 kernel (I usually
download and "custom compile" the latest kernel) on a dual Pentium Pro
200 system, 192 meg ram, 4 meg Matrox video card, Canopus Pure3d "pass
through" card (recognized by the kernel, but not working in X because I
can't find glide 2 drivers!) and it's working well for day to day stuff
and light household server duty. I like Slackware because it uses the
"BSD" style init scripts, the minimum system requirements are very low
and it's much simpler for me to figure out how to change something.
Also, I moved from DOS/Win3.x to Linux, so command line skill was always
a must. SUSE 6.1 will probably work, but I've never tried SUSE other
than a boot-from-cd version of 6.3. I'd put Slackeware on an old
Pentium, but that's my preference, because I can install GNOME, KDE or
nothing as I choose, and the installer cares not a bit. I've actually
had a 486/dx4 100 VLB SVGA card running Slackware and KDE. NOT your
blazing-fast system, but it ran StarOffice 5.2 well enough to get a
daughter through 5 years of college w/ 2 bachelor's degrees. :-D
CyberSource or Bob Meyer could probably give you better advise about
SUSE. CyberSource would be a good place to check for drives, too. I do
this for fun, they do it to eat!
-Greg

Hi, Greg

Your last comment...understandable and vary true!

I too have a Dual Pentium Pro Server. Maybe one day soon when that system comes up for the retooling and setting up on the network and so on. You can have a looks see at it at one of the meetings and give me an idea as to whats best for it. It has 2, 200Mhz 256cache PPro chips, soon to be 512mg ram, 32mg ram video, scsi-3 system (four drives), so on and so forth. But I'm going to dual-boot it between NT Server 4.0 and Linux flavor unknowen for sure yet.

tHecActUsKid:)

Do you Yahoo!?