LDAP from YP

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 5 14:26:49 EST 2004

I finally formatted and reinstalled Linux (gentoo) on my file server and am now
getting all the services set back up.  I was trying to set my Samba up the way
I had it and I realized I couldnt smbpasswd people becasue I had compiled with
ldap - so Instead of recompiling with -ldap I went ahead and decided to convert
my YP domain to use LDAP _ I'd been meaning to do this for a year now.

Everything works in the conversion so far except the ldapadd of the passwd ldif
file.  I get an error and the password file doesnt get added to the database.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this or run into
something similar?  Also what should I look for in the conversion from YP to
LDAP - what are those things that will trip me up?  I already had to go back as
root and passwd all the users to add the passwords back it seems the shadow
file got messed up during the conversion - or maybe I screwed something up -
gotta stop doing this work after 11pm!

JJN