Verizon Fios (Fiber-to-the-Premises) Internet (Cheap??) plus other questions

Timothy Domst timothy.domst at verizon.net
Thu Jul 29 00:24:50 EDT 2004

On Jul 28, 2004, at 12:24 PM, Alex Koch wrote:

> Back to the original announcement, here's a message that I saw on
> another mailing list:
>
> "My wife who is Verizon retired informs me that the SS links were
> installed in the central offices between 10 and 15 years ago and most
> of the homes (and presumably businesses) in Buffalo NY now have fiber
> installed to the outside of the buildings (drops).   They have been
> planning this for decades. "
>
> However, I'm not that optimistic on when it might actually be
> available.
>

> Alex Koch
> ack22 at cornell.edu
>
> <<-- PGP Keys -->>
> 2048 bit RSA key id: 0x58635D8F
> 4096 bit DH/DSS key id: 0x0784EFC5

That's what's great about Buffalo, we are well connected to
infrastructure like highways and power and we are going to get this
good DSL soon.  I bet we do before a lot of bigger cities.

I have a second, working, 1.13GHz Linux box now that I am going to use
with 10/100 NIC cards as a router.  Will my speed be any better
compared to what I get with my Linksys router?  I mean can the little
router be a bottleneck?

How much faster is my server going to be if I leave XWindows out of the
kernel?  Does it matter for a little hobby server like mine, should I
just leave XWindows in for easy configuration?  I can sftp and ssh into
my Linux server from my Mac so I really don't need much after I learn
all the config files.