Verizon Fios (Fiber-to-the-Premises) Internet (Cheap??)

Dave Yearke yearke at eng.buffalo.edu
Wed Jul 28 09:01:45 EDT 2004

I've had PowerLink since April 2003, configured to use their DNS and
other services, and never had a "page not available" problem. Maybe I'm
just lucky, but I believe they've made significant infrastructure
improvements in the last year or so. In fact, the only problem I've ever
had with PowerLink, other than one or two brief service outages (but,
hey, that happens to almost everyone), is that my cable modem (a Linksys
BEFCMU10 version 2) sometimes goes out to lunch and stops sending
packets upstream. A quick power-cycle always solves this, and I've been
able to largely mitigate the problem by throttling down programs that
try to do a lot of connection requests in a short amount of time (like
using "ubh" to pre-fetch Usenet articles; a one-second sleep here and
there in the code helped a lot, and as I do this mostly overnight, a
slight increase in time doesn't matter if it keeps my connection alive
and happy).

Then again, your mileage may vary. :-)

-- Dave, a satisfied PowerLink user