adaptec hardware raid 1 29320a hostraid

Michael Hanulec hanulec at hanulec.com
Wed Jul 28 01:47:01 EDT 2004

Hi..

The 29320-R and 39320-R SCSI HBA's w/ 'HostRAID' features require one the
following:

1. A special version of the aic79xx, from the version 2.x tree i believe,
to be compiled.  This is NOT the default version which ANY linux distro
uses.  After compiling this software you will be able to use the devices
as just any other HBA.  If this is your boot device you are going to need
to add a IDE disk to the system, install FC2, compile this new adaptec
source for the -boot kernel and make a RedHat boot disk for this card.

( This problems don't occur w/ any motherboard i've seen w/ onboard 7902
Adaptec chips... but these boards also don't offer this RAID feature )

2. Adaptec offers a VERY limited set of pre-compiled kernel modules which
require a specific kernel in order to get HostRAID to work.  I think this
is B.S.... and thus I don't recommend that anyone buy this card if they
want simple hardware RAID1 or RAID0 functionality.

If you want a cheap hardware RAID (0 or 1) solution I would HIGHLY
recommend using the LSI LSI20320-R which offers a hardware raid via the
commonly found 'MPT' driver, this is the same driver used for their
expensive/full featured RAID card.  I think you might be able to sell your
29320R and use your left over $$ to buy this LSI card as it is almost 1/2
the price of the Adaptec solution.

If any one has any other server level hardware questions wrt. Linux
support please ask away as I spend too much of my day debugging this crap
(although i secretly think its fun... just not when i have huge deadlines
to meet).  Some people on the list know me.. I'm a UB grad, an ex-CIT
undergrad Help Desk supervisor and after a few different gigs here and
there I'm now the Director of Technology and Production at a San Diego, CA
based 'white-box' PC vendor specializing in Linux HPC clusters.

Good luck w/ which either option you decide to go down.  I personally
would go buy that LSI card instead.

-Mike

--
hanulec at hanulec.com		cell: 858.518.2647 && 516.410.4478