Gnome~kde confusion

David Mangani dmangani at adelphia.net
Mon Jul 5 12:54:47 EDT 2004

Cyber Source wrote:

> that's the first thing i check, lol. I hate that spatial mode, as they
> call it. Reminds me of the default way win95 and nt were. You mean you
> don't prefer to have 10 windows open if you have to get into 10 levels
> of file location?? What were they thinking on that one? I've read a
> few articles that try to explain that the spatial mode is suppose to
> be more straight forward in that you will always see where you are
> exactly when you click on something, instead of learning the directory
> tree and using navigational buttons. Makes no sense to me. Anyway, one
> quick way out of it is to right click on the desktop icon and select
> browse, that brings up the browing nautilus window too. Also, are you
> using KDM for your login screen?
>
> David Mangani wrote:
>
>> David Mangani wrote:

>>> Thanks for the tip, I will take a look and see. I tried right
>>> clicking on the icon and selecting "open with" and typing nautilus.
>>> The error message I get is
>>>
>>> "

>>> Kind of strange. I will check out your tip though. Thank you for the
>>> direction.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>

>> Using the editor I was able to see the "browser mode" you refered to.
>> I actually prefer this method " the old way " over the new "spacial
>> view" mode. But I did not see a clear marking for "browser off" or
>> such. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see it. Oh well, at least now
>> when I click on "start here" I get the old browser mode! Thats a good
>> thing.
>>
>> Dave

It seems I am using gdm ( the default ). Now that you mention it I don't
see the option to change to kdm. I have tried other disto's and it is
usually right there. Debian comes to mind. There is a whole branch off
the main menu for boot options etc. Anyway, where is the option to
change to kdm in Fedora. ( Core 2 ).  I've been deep diving into some of
the config screens and actually found another location to change the
default browser config for nautilus. Main menu -> preferences -> control
center -> more preferences -> nautilus. Click here and you can select
"always use browser mode"

Dave