vmware offer as it affects nflug - RFC

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Sun Feb 8 23:41:09 EST 2004

Hi.

I have taken care to explain this issue carefully.  *Please* read the
whole thing before responding.  We're all friends here and I intend to
keep it that way.

I recently received an email offer (See two emails quoted below) on
another lug list.  I had already decided to purchase vmware so I could
run Dragon Naturally Speaking 7.0 (and several other applications) under
XP and still do the rest of my work in Linux.

In order to make sure I received the discount, I had several email and
phone conversations with vmware.  It's a real offer.
In these conversations, I represented myself as a long term member of
two lugs (nflug and wnclug).  I did *not* represent myself as
"president" or as anything other than a member.

I purchased the boxed  product and have received it.  (I wanted the
printed manual.)

Shortly after receiving the boxed product, I received another
(unsolicited) email from vmware that basically stated that as a lug
"president" (and for coordinating rebates for other members), I was
entitled to a free downloaded version of the software.  The email
contained  a download key to make it work.

Again, I did *not* represent myself as a representative of any lug in
any way.

I have *not* yet downloaded the the software (the additional free copy).

I could really use the software as I have two computers (with separate
users) I need to run it on.

I would be happy to coordinate rebates for anyone else in nflug who
wants to take advantage of this offer.

Since nflug has no officers and we seem to like it that way, it does not
seem unreasonable for me to *offer* to do this.

I do not want to "take advantage" of the group or get anyone angry, so I
am requesting your feedback on this matter.
However, since the offer is good for the 1st 1000 orders, I need to take
some action to assure my discount (on my original order) in the next few
days.

If I do not receive any feedback with differing opinions in the next few
days, I will proceed to download and register the additional copy.

Please let me know what you all think about this.  I really want the
software, but I value your friendship and support much more highly.
So, if there are any issues with this, let's talk it over and work it
out in a friendly manner.

Joe