[inbox] Re: c'est rien

Greg Neumann dadneumann at adelphia.net
Fri Dec 3 15:12:28 EST 2004

/home/<username> is used by the system and various apps to store all
kinds of config files. Is that perhaps why gnucash lost your invoices?
You certainly have the right idea about critical data. I find that
something important usually gets hosed really good on the day after the
Win2000 server backup bails out w/ some stupid error, so I've taken to
hiding the REALLY important stuff on local drives, etc. Just in case.
Having worked w/ both W2K and Linux as small business servers, I must
say I MISS Linux. The only thing on the W2K server that has been
absolutely fail-safe is the licensing monitoring module. No surprise
there, I guess. ;-)
Anyway, you might just set up a small /home/<your_username> partition on
that data drive to keep the config files from blow-up to blow-up. ;-)
-Greg Neumann