[inbox] Re: c'est rien

Greg Neumann dadneumann at adelphia.net
Fri Dec 3 13:13:41 EST 2004

Bob,
If you mess around with your system much, be sure to put your /home
directory on a separate disk partition, and put your crucial data files
there. That way when (not if! ;-)) you blow the system up again, you can
bypass formating that partition, set it back to home, bring up gnucash
in your new system and as they say, "Bob's your uncle!" ... oh wait, you
ARE Bob! ;-) (sorry!)
Anyway, that recently saved my butt when I slapped a third drive in my
machine and tried to set up SuSE 9.1 on it and grub would not boot
anything! I eventually used the Slackware 10.0 setup CD, fixed it so the
Slackware drive would boot, and lo! there was all my data in the
partition I left it on. I really do like all the Linux distros that ASK
you if you want to format a partition and if and where you want it mounted.
At some point, long ago, someone far more savvy about these things than
I recommended that I put /home on a separate partition, even drive if
possible, and I'm sure glad I've been doing it since. Hope this helps.
-Greg Neumann