looking for advice

Mr Michael Phillips linux478 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 31 14:35:35 EDT 2004

--- Stephen <smile_stephen at cogeco.ca> wrote:
> Can you give me some advice I am receiving a new
> hard drive from work to
> add linux to my home computer?
<snip></snip>
> My currant home system has two drives a 60gig and
> 20gig now I will add a
> 100gig to my P4 with 160meg ram

It is kind of hard to give advice without hard drive
space requirements by each operating system( Like how
much space for applications ).  I might be able to
shed some light on the subject with this limited
information.  Also, just to warn you I have no Windows
2000 experience.  I think the best way to install the
operating systems would be in this order Windows XP,
Windows 2000, Windows 98, and then Linux.  Also I
would keep personal documents and work files on a FAT
partition(s).  The reason for this is to give access
to personal and work files from any operating system.
Now for the partitioning, I would have a partition for
each of the Windows operating systems.  Personal and
work files would get there own partitions.  Linux
needs at least two partitions.  The answer for
dividing Linux is determind by what the operating
system is being use for.

I hope this helps.
Michael