Boot Manager- Was: Linux not reporting

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 21 19:43:54 EDT 2004

--- green_man <green_man at bluefrog.biz> wrote:

> Cyber Source wrote, On 08/15/04 1:37 PM:
>
> ... I seem to remember that Lilo has a problem with large memory. Try
> using grub, you can easily switch back if it doesnt do the trick for you
> (although I don't know why you would). ...
>
> I always thought that the Boot Manager was sort of "integral" to the
> operating system.
> How do you change from one to another ?
> Is there a HOWTO somewhere for it ?

Changing is as simple as installing one over the other. (running "lilo") will
overwrite grub, and running grub, followed by setting the root path
"root(hd0,0)" (hd0,0 means first hard disk, first partition, the "root path is
NOT the path to "/", it's the path to "/boot"(where the kernel's go), so adjust
as necessary, if /boot is on /dev/hda3, then you'd use "root (hd0,2)" ) and run
"setup (hd0)"  make sure /boot/grub/grub.conf has been setup for your kernel(s)
and you should be OK.

There is a howtoo someplace (check http://www.tldp.org/docs.html#howto)

> What are the advantages of grub over LiLo, or is it more of a preference
> thing like Gnome vs KDE ?

lilo's ONLY (in my opinion) advantage is that it can boot soft RAID1 setups off
of either disk, whereas grub can't (as of late 2003, this may have changed)

grub can run from floppy, and it has several features in it that lilo does NOT
have  like boot from network (in progress), probing of hardware, and searching
ability on the disk.

Plus lilo requires uit to be RERUN every time a new kernel is installed, grub
does not (though you should update grub.conf if you want to see your new kernel
in the bootmenu)

> AIA
> --
>
> * green_man