Linux not reporting 1gb of ram

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Sun Aug 15 02:49:10 EDT 2004

The highmem support in the kernel is for a system with 4GB+ of RAM.  To
circumvent your memory issue, you can pass a boot parameter, telling the
the kernel how much memory your system actually has.

If you're using lilo, try
	append="mem=1024M"

else, if you're using grub,
	mem=1024M

Reboot & see if it correctly identifies the RAM.

-Rob

> I have 1gb of ram on my machine and when I cat /proc/meminfo I recieve
> this information
>
> total:    used:    free:  shared: buffers:  cached:
> Mem:  262115328 254373888  7741440        0 38125568 158715904
> Swap: 534634496 107360256 427274240
> MemTotal:       255972 kB
> MemFree:          7560 kB
> MemShared:           0 kB
> Buffers:         37232 kB
> Cached:         119208 kB
> SwapCached:      35788 kB
> Active:         122148 kB
> Inactive:       111824 kB
> HighTotal:           0 kB
> HighFree:            0 kB
> LowTotal:       255972 kB
> LowFree:          7560 kB
> SwapTotal:      522104 kB
> SwapFree:       417260 kB
>

> Shouldnt MemTotal be around  1033936 kB? Do I need to use some kind of
> High Memory support in the kernel? FYI windoze does see 1gb of ram and
> memtest86+ doesnt report any errors with the ram and sees 1gb. Its
> been a rough day with linux and I :(
>
> --
> Frank
> Shenanigans!!

Dege

As seen on bash.org:
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there
should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't
we just take the safety labels off of everything and let
the problem solve itself?