w2k - firewall offtopic

Justin Bennett justin.bennett at dynabrade.com
Wed Apr 28 11:48:44 EDT 2004

It is a virus problem, viruses(worms) can spread many ways, not just
email, via shared files, open RPC ports, default open admin shares, ect.
You can just be connected to a network and get infected. Thats why it is
important to have a firewall with cable modem, because your on all the
time. I installed  Zone Alarm (the free one) and configured it to not
ask for outgoing, and be silent on incoming (just block it). This should
do what I want. The email viruses are stopped by here provider, now I'm
hopeing the firewall will stop viruses that come in via windows security
holes....

Thanks for the options, in the end FREE made the choice.

Justin

Justin Bennett
Network Administrator
Dynabrade, Inc.