Looking for New Comptuer

TheCactusKid Cactus thecactuskid45 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 24 10:48:27 EDT 2004

"Joshua R. Altemoos" <joshua at gnu-linux.net> wrote:
Hey,

I am looking for a newish to buy between now and August. Does anyone
know where i can get a newish comptuer for around $800 that has

Intel Pentium 4 2.40GHz with HT Technology
512MB DDR Memory
120GB† Hard Drive
CD-RW Drive
DVD-ROM Drive
An AGP Port for later vid upgrades
Bulit in EtherNet (or PCI if there are 4 pci ports left)

Well I build mine at a total cost of 800ish +++ w/o HT Technology. You really don't need it. But the new model board from MSI supports 4 gigs of ram and with HT, you'll have a killer system. I have everything you've listed but a DVD-Rom drive, and if your going that way just go ahead and build it with a cheep CD-ROM 48 or 52X and get a CD/DVD-RW combo drive so you can burn cd-r's as well as dvd's. Mine has an MSI 845PE Max2 board w/RAID serial ata, 2.4gHz Pentium 4 DDR333, 6 PCI slots, NIC, USB 2.0, ect, I added a gainward (nVidia) GeForce FX 5200 128mb DDR video ram, Second NIC, I baught a RAID case a nice large black profession looking tower not a dum gamer looking, 5 fan in the case 2 of which in power supply, and with a two on the board and one on the video card this system has eight in total so it stays cool. vary little fan noise.

Check around locally, but I ended up buying everthing over the internet cause locally was around one quater to a third more in cost. Even after shipping I still made out better. I had a keyboard, mouse, 17in monitor, speakers, power control switch, ect. So you would end up with something like mine. Oh, by the way since you are going to dual-boot mine runs fine with XP and I will when I get another drive in it, I'm installing Fadora or Mandrake Community. Shop around go on the net, get a feeling for prices, http://www.pricewatch.com/ gives you an idea, but I baught my gear from http://www.computergate.com/ all but the case, the one I wanted they did not carry, but on the net was priced more than it was locally so I bought it here. A Foxcon SuperCase. $69.95 +tax I added fans $+. Hope all this info helps.

Ron

I prefeer one with No OS but if it comes with windows i can reformat
since i ussaly dualboot with windows when i have the hard drive
space (at the moment I am on a 6 gig hd and have linux only)

Any help will be helpful Thanks!

Josh