partitions

Asheville Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Sat Sep 27 19:46:00 EDT 2003

Don't worry.   We're all on the learning curve!  There's even a thing or
two even Bob Meyer doesn't know ;) !
As for windows, I've got mine hobbled - all startup tasks disabled - to
keep it stable enough to watch TV on because I don't have a good backup
of it and I can't take the 4 days to rebuild it!  But when I finally do,
now I can save it.  I've been trying to get backup for windows to work
for over seven years with no notable success until now.  It took Linux
to do it right!

I'm attaching my current backup scripts.  The basic idea is that I have
a huge second IDE drive (cheap from Office Max on sale) set up as a
removable drive (you get a standard drive and a removable kit that lets
you pop it in and out of an external 5 1/4" bay - also cheap).  So, I
make backups of my primary drive to the secondary drive - faster and I
don't have to be there to stick multiple CDRW's in.  Then, at my
leisure, I can burn any of the backups to CDRW.  But that's more
trouble, so it doesn't get done as often (which is not good for reliable
backups).

The only real reservation I have with my scripts (other than the fact
that no attempt was made to generalize them), is that I have not done a
restore from the backups and that's the only real proof that they work.

Joe

--
There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is a miracle. ~ Albert Einstein ~