partitions

Richard Hubbard rhubby at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 14 08:17:21 EDT 2003

Basically, it depends :-)
For home use, if you aren't planning to do some really
heavy data work, you can probably mount everything but
your swap partition under /.

The only problem with this is if you run out of room
on your hd.  You could have serious issues regarding
your computer working (same thing happens with all
os's.  When they run out of room for basic things on
the hd, they die.

To avoid this, you might follow this strategy:
/boot looks ok (you may be able to get away with less,
boot is used for holding the kernel.
keep / rather small.  Maybe 500mb - 1gb.  Here is the
real trick.  Mount the directories that can tend to
get huge on their own partition.  These directories
include /usr (usually big programs get put there.
/opt, when you install programs from outside vendors,
they usually like to go there. /home, because of all
the user files that may be stored in your home
directories, and /var, because this seems to be a
catch all ('were are we puttin' this 600G log file,
Vern? 'Jus put it in the /var directory, Jake')

Of course, the automatic partitioning schemes that Red
Hat and Mandrake have come up with aren't too bad. You
might want to give those a shot, just to see what they
make.