symlink and samba

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 11 23:50:28 EDT 2003

--- Michael Brown <mwkbrown at alltel.net> wrote:
> Thanks, that is an excellent point. Would the server only start hanging
> if the data in those directories were accessed or regardless?

Typically, the server would only hang if something was 'cd'ed into the
directory and tried to do anything or something tried to access files in the
directory (share) and it was offline.  Trust me, there is nothing that is more
frustrating than to have processes that cannot be killed 'cuz they have I/O
pending on a missing share...

> In any case perhaps a second, bigger drive for the server would be the
> best answer. I would like access the server from windoze and Linux. It
> would also free up space on the pc.

I would set up your server to be a file server and then store all of your music
there.  You could then tell the server to share the music dirs in both samba
and NFS so that you could get to it on your workstation in either O/S.

Cheers!

Bob