inittab

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 11 19:00:21 EDT 2003

inittab can only be written to by root,  so you have to login as root or "su"
to root before editting that file.

you could test it without editting the file by running "telinit 5" which will
switch you to runlevel 5 immediately. (also run by root).  Though on next
reboot it'll bootup in whatever runlevel you have defined in /etc/inittab.

--- JB <mesimpleton at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to install my Nvidia driver and I set my
> start level to 3 ok, but I am having trouble resetting
> it back to 5 while in level 3. I tried (vi inittab)
> and it came up but I couldn't figure out how to save
> the changes and get out for a restart. Is there an
> easier editor or way to edit inittab?
> Thanks in advance...

=====
Dave J. Andruczyk