OT: Pocket PC

Kevin E. Glosser keg at adelphia.net
Tue Oct 21 13:34:54 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 17:21, Richard Hubbard wrote:
> The pocket pc's are not based on an intel chip, so you
> wont be able to just install a distro of linux onto a
> pocket pc.

True, however, people have been running linux on these processors for a
while. There has been a decent amount of effort to get linux running on
them.

I own a Cassiopeia E200(200 Mhz arm processor, 64 Mb RAM, 32 Mb ROM,
Microsoft Pocket PC 2002 OS) and although I have not put linux on it, I
do use it with my linux box.

I sync it with Ximian Evolution, like I used to with Microsoft
Outlook(using Activesync). Although, not every bit of functionality has
been ported over. It syncs addressbooks and calendar, but not email or
files yet. You can transfer files manually though.

For those interested, look up the "synce" and "multisync" projects. They
are very cool and still early in development. Well, here's some URL's to
get you started...

http://synce.sourceforge.net/synce/

http://multisync.sourceforge.net/

Read carefully the information on these sites. Make sure you have all
the prerequisites before you start installing rpm's.

KEG