NFS problem

Mark T. Valites valites at geneseo.edu
Thu Oct 2 12:37:19 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, S. Johnson wrote:

> Servers 1 and 2 are configured to be able to run Postfix or
courier-imap,
> and access the /users share from server 3 via NFS.  Here is the /etc/fstab
> the clients use:
>
> server3:/db    /db    nfs bg,nfsvers=3,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 0 0
> server3:/isp   /isp   nfs bg,nfsvers=3,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 0 0
> server3:/users /users nfs bg,nfsvers=3,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 0 0

I have a similar setup on a sunfire 280R with a T3 attached to it. On my
linux satellites, I mount with:

nfs_server:/mnt/point /local/mnt/point nfs intr,actimeo=0,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,nosuid,noatime,soft

Linux's nfs server support is widely accepted as not being the best in the
world, but it should still work fine.

One of the biggest speed enhancements you can make is noatime, but
depending on the file usage from the export, you may not be able to set
that.

You may also want to use programs such as bonnie++ to test your setup with
different mount options before having to suffer them in production.

-Mark

--
Mark T. Valites
Unix Systems Analyst