audio cd

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Thu Oct 2 09:12:37 EDT 2003

RedHat only needs the mp3 stuff turned on, in RH9 the files
mpg321-0.2.10-fr2.i386.rpm and xmms-mp3-1.2.7-21.p.i386.rpm would do
this, the latter for the xmms plugin, but should play audio cd's right
out of the box. Audio cd's do NOT get mounted, they are just
played/read. If you are using Gnome as your desktop, by default, if you
put in an audio cd, the cdplayer for gnome, gnome-cd, should have
started automatically. This can be controlled in the menu, via
preferences, cd properties. See what is in there and you can also put in
an audio cd and play it many different ways, if a program is not auto
starting. Do you have more than 1 cdrom drive? From a menu/shortcut, you
can start either the cdplayer or xmms (I will show 2 choices), start
with command prompt gnome-cd or xmms respectively. The cdplayer will not
start without a cd in and is simple to run once it does. xmms on the
other hand, you will have to browse through to your cd location
(probably /mnt/cdrom) and select tracks from there. NOTE: I have seen
with different fstab configurations, that cd tracks don't show up when
browsed to where you cd's should be but if you are in the right
location, click the add all files in directory button and they show up.
I don't think this is an issue with the standard configs of RH9 though.
The thing that totally rocks about xmms is that not only will it play
mp3's, cda's (cd's), wav's, ogg's but it will also play streaming audio
via the net! Try it sometime with http://live365.com