Unable to kill smb process

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 19 19:44:07 EST 2003

This is the one failing of NFS.  If you lose connectivity to a filesystem, the
processes tend to just hang.  We had a discussion on this a while ago.  If the
filesystem is hard mounted, without the 'intr' flag, you cannot interrupt a
process once it has posted an I/O.  So the kill -9 won't make it go away
because it still has a kernel mode I/O hanging out there.

Do a 'man mount' to find out all of the options.  You might be interested in
the 'soft' and 'intr' flags.

Cheers!

Bob