synaptic!

David Mangani dmangani at att.net
Mon Nov 17 19:59:17 EST 2003

Asheville Joe wrote:

> Is there a version (and database) that works with Mandrake yet?  I
> tried to install a version, but ran into problems.  From what I
> understand, even if I did get it installed, it relies on a distrro
> dependent database that teel it what each package needs to work.
>
> Joe
>
> David Mangani wrote:
>
>> Just wanted to share a wonderful experience with the group. I had
>> read about synaptic ( apt-get) and its ability to find files and
>> solve dependencies and install software easily, so I gave it a try.
>> I'm using Fedore Core 1 and decided to try to install mplayer ( 14 or
>> 15 dependencies ) and it worked flawlessly. It identified all
>> required files, downloaded and installed them all. It even added
>> mplayer to my sound/video menu! This is a great piece of software.
>> For any newbies here like me I can't recommend this enough. Makes
>> getting installing software a delight!
>>
>> My 2 Cents
>> Dave

Hi Joe,

I'm not sure about a mandrake specific version. I do believe your
correct however, the "version" I installed was specifically under the
"Fedora Core" d'load section.  It makes sense as it would need to be
aware of an entire RPM database to function properly. I know there was a
version previously for RH. As a RH user I never checked into its
availability on Mandrake.
    On a side note, I sent for MDK 9.2 and tried to install it. Wow, I
had alot of trouble. In fact way to much trouble. I'm thinking the disks
I got were bad. All kinds of broken links to apps, sound was messed up (
SB Live ) very common card. video card detected wrong.. Oh well. I know
MDK is known to be pretty good, so I guess I may have gotten a bad disk
set. The set I recieved were CD-R's. I have had trouble in the past with
SOME CD-R sets. Does MDK have a "media checker" routine like RH? I
didn't see one.

Dave

P.S. My Fedore was also on CD-R's and installed fine. Go figure.