Laptop Questions?

Mark Musone mmusone at shatterit.com
Mon Nov 17 17:46:12 EST 2003

K not Mb

-Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nflug at nflug.org [mailto:owner-nflug at nflug.org] On Behalf Of
Tom McKim
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 5:07 PM
To: nflug at nflug.org
Subject: Re: Laptop Questions?

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20020903/index.html

The most important difference is the L2 Cache (the
onboard memory) which drastically affects performance.
A typical 1.7 Ghz Celeron has a 128 MB L2 Cache
While a 1.7 Ghz Pentium 4 has a 512 MB L2 Cache.

It really comes down to saving a couple bucks.  If it
is a monetary concern look into AMD.

I prefer Toshiba Laptops myself.

I wouldn't worrry about the File System as you will be
installing Linux anyway, you will want to do
everything from scratch including re-partioning the
Hard Drive anyway.

--- joshua at navyjosh.us wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Well i have been thinking of getting a laptop for
> some time but i have
> some questions i would like to ask.
>
> Well to start i was looking at some laptops and
> noticed that they offer
> Celeron P4 and P4(HT) proccessors. How do Celeron
> differnce from Pentium
> Processors. Also would it be wise to get a desktop
> proccessor in a
> notebook? But they also make Mobile P4's. So basicly
> what is the differnce
> between Celeron and Pentium processors. I would be
> useing the laptop as
> everyday use so which type is better for this type?
> Well that is basicly
> it other then what is a better Laptop maker. I was
> looking at dell for
> price and i like there case design. So any ideas? I
> would be dual-booting
> a new install of what they provide and Mandrake
> Linux 9.2 ( a new install
> becuase as far as i know nfts can not be resized or
> written on without
> problems. If i am wrong please point me to where i
> can find teh inomation
> on this) Thanks!
>

> Later Dayz,
> Josh