Un-moderate a mailman list?

Mark T. Valites valites at geneseo.edu
Thu Nov 13 10:14:11 EST 2003

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, David Dudek wrote:

> I can't remember who the mailman guru is, but I got my mailman server
> running.  However, I'm having a minor problem with mailman itself now.
>
> This is probably a stupid question, but how the heck do you set up a list
> so that any of the subscribers can post without moderator approval?  i.e.:
> I don't want a moderated list.  You would think that there would be an
> option that would jump out at me to set this up, but I just don't see it.

You would think it'd be under Privacy Options->Sender Filters, but
probably not... It was so much easier to find the appropriate settings for
this in pre 2.1 versions. I feel your pain.

One thought - look up the settings for the address under the membership
management link. See if "mod" is checked for them. If it is, uncheck it.
Then check the setting for "default_member_moderation" under Privacy
Options->Sender Filters.

If that's not it, let me know...

-Mark

> I keep getting messages like the one below:

PS.

I noticed this before, but didn't say anything - do you realize you
included the mailman message below your signature?

In your signature, you have what are called "sigdashes" enabled. E-mail
clients that are intelligent enough (like pine) to pay proper attention to
these sigdashes strip anything below the sigdashes on reply - you should
never include text below your signature unless you really intend to.
Without jumping through a couple hoops, I can't quote the text of anything
below your sigdashes in a reply - something to keep in mind...

>From the pine help page:

FEATURE: enable-sigdashes

This feature enables support for the common USENET news convention of
preceding a message signature with the special line consisting of the
three characters "-- " (i.e., dash, dash, and space).

When enabled and a "signature-file" exists, Pine will insert the special
line before including the file's text (unless the special line already
exists somewhere in the file's text).

In addition, when you Reply or Followup to a message containing one of
these special lines and choose to include its text, Pine will observe the
convention of not including text beyond the special line in your reply.

--
Mark T. Valites
Unix Systems Analyst