Imap clients

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Thu Mar 27 08:19:03 EST 2003

we run netscape as our default email client in a mixed win2000, solaris
environment with about 70 users and squirrellmail as a web client. our
default is netscape 4.76 but we've slowly been moving users to netscape
7.0 which i've been testing for the last 6 months. we have many users
that are resistant to change so i like to make changes slowly. you
should have seen it when we forced them to change from CDE to KDE, you
would have thought the world was coming to an end.

netscape doesn't put a big load on the imap server (cyrus) also, unlike
outlook that spawns a ton of persistant connections. it only spawns a
process for the mailbox that is being accessed, unless you hit a mailbox
with a ton of messages and try going to another mailbox before it's done
grabbing the headers.

i agree with you observations on mozilla, i wouldn't deploy it to
regular users. if they want to use it i wouldn't support it, i make one
client that is the standard and don't provide support for others.

--
Darin Perusich
Unix Systems Administrator
darinper at cognigencorp.com