Sound problems

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 6 09:31:58 EST 2003

--- "Riga, Anthony" <Anthony.Riga at searbrown.com> wrote:
> I am running Redht 8.0 at work. At one time my sound worked when playing cds.
> Now all the sudden today it dosent. Its a compatable card. Vendor C-Media
> Electronics, Model CM8738, Module cmpci. Its an onboard soundcard. I tried
> resetting the sound server and did sndconfig as root but still no sound. I
> tried the speakers to see if they work on my Window$ box and it works no
> problem. Any of your suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

If you're running KDE, it's possible that the Arts sound daemon that KDE uses
may be interfering with other programs.  I know that 'xmms' has an ARTS module
that allows it to work through artsd and so does 'xine'.  In KDE, you can turn
off arts (which also turns off KDE sounds).

Hope this helps...

Cheers!

Bob

=====