New User

vlok stone vlokstone at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 26 00:03:44 EDT 2003

You may not be connnected at all. red hat includes the
web site doc's in the install.
1. check you're ip -> type $/sbin/ifconfig
   you should get 2 numbers 127.0.0.1 ( loopback )
   and your public ip of 24.x.x.x or 68.x.x.x
2. open terminal & use ping command to test
   $ping 66.218.71.198 (yahoo.com )
   then by name  $ping yahoo.com
3. at the terminal go to root ( type su -> passwd)
   then type #cat /etc/resolv.conf
   you should see this:

   search buf.adelphia.net
   nameserver 68.168.224.162
   nameserver 68.168.224.165

4. I'm not familiar w/ Redhat's config GUI's
   but I think they include linuxconf and webmin
   both are very good graphical frontends.

5. when you do get on line go here for  great linux
   tutorials.

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/views/linux/tutorials.jsp

definitely take the intro to bash commands. it'll make

your linux experience much smoother. sooner or later,
in linux, you'll end up at a shell, and wonder how ya
lived w/out one all these years.

                         Good Luck,

--- "A. Paul LeBarron II" <shipdadip at adelphia.net>

=====